Saturday, December 29, 2007

I'm back again !!!

Hello again!

It has been a long time since I have posted to this blog as I have spent most of my time being sick and in and out of the hospital. Now that I am reasonably well, though disabled, I thought it was time to get back. Since I am disabled I spend alot of time at home . So I thought I would use some of that time sharing with you some of the things I love. You can probably tell from previous posts that I have a fascination with the lives of women that lived long ago. I have a large collection of ladies magazines from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I thought I would share with you some of the articles, recipes, advice, and needlework patterns (especially knitting and crocheting, of which I have a large collection). The following is part of an article from "Modern Priscilla" dated July 1928.

"Modern Cooks Use the Refrigerator" by Ruth Axtell Chalmers

Cooking in the refrigerator! Obviously this is a figure of speech, but it's meaning is apparent to the modern housewife who makes the most of her efficient, up-to-date refrigerator, either iced or electric. It signifies that food can be prepared and cooked in advance of the serving time, and kept in the refrigerator in perfect condition, all ready for last minute garnishing or, perhaps, heating.

When full use is made of the refrigerator the actual work involved in preparing meals can be done at the time most convenient; in summer, relagated to the coolest part of the day. Sunday dinners can be practically all cooked on Saturday, luncheon and dinner dishes made ready in the morning, refreshments for afternoon or evening entertainment served with ease. The following recipes are illustrative of the different varieties of "refrigerator cooked" foods.


Fudge Mystery

1 tablespoon gelatine
1 cup hot milk
2 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cream
Pinch salt
Sponge cake

Soften gelatine in cold water, add sugar and salt and dissolve in hot milk. Add vanilla. Let stand until cold and partially thickened. Mix with cream, whipped stiff; turn into a shallow bowl lined with slices of sponge cake. Let stand in refrigerator. Serve in dessert glasses with Fudge Sauce.


Fudge Sauce


1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, cocoa, and flour. Add milk and bring to boiling point, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Add salt, butter, and vanilla .


Sandwich Loaf

1 loaf sandwich bread, unsliced
1 small green pepper, chopped
4 oz. pimento cheese
1/2 lb. tomatoes, sliced
3 hard-cooked eggs
1 pound cream cheese
Mayonnaise

Trim crusts from sandwich loaf, cut in 4 lengthwise slices; butter each. On first slice spread pimento cheese softened with some of the cream cheese; on second, chopped hard -cooked eggs and green pepper mixed with mayonnaise; on third, sliced tomatoes spread with mayonnaise. Put together, cover with cream cheese softened with cream. Let stand in refrigerator several hours. Slice in inch slices.

Hope you enjoy this bit of nostalgia!

No comments: